- Click here for a printable graphic flyer
- Click here for FAQs on this new process
- Click here for printable PDF of the following information
Dear O’Fallon Recycling Customer:
YOUR RECYCLING PROGRAM IS CHANGING ON OCTOBER 29, 2018.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
The recycling industry has changed significantly in 2018, and it is now impacting cities around the world, especially “single stream” recyclers like the City of O’Fallon. China, which had been the world’s largest importer of recyclables, no longer allows single stream recyclable materials from the United States. Since China was the primary market for single stream materials, all cities using single stream must change their recycling programs or face significantly higher costs and customer rates or consider ending recycling.
Because our residents have strongly supported recycling and are used to having the lowest rates in the County, our Staff looked for options that would allow us to still offer affordable recycling. We have found a solution, but it requires changes to our curbside recycling program. Your cooperation will be required in order to help us maintain our affordable rates.
The City of O’Fallon will now partner with the City of St. Peters for recycling. As a result, the following changes will take place beginning October 29, 2018.
- O’Fallon’s new curbside recycling program will now only pick up the following items:
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminum cans
- Tin cans
- Plastic containers (clear or colored) with a recycle symbol on them (no #4, #6 or black plastic please)
- All materials must be EMPTY, CLEAN and DRY or they will not be accepted/recycled!
- Do not bag your recycling!
- Paper and cardboard will now be accepted through our drop‐off service only!
- Paper and cardboard will be collected for recycling at the O’Fallon Environmental Services headquarters at 1550 Progress West Lane, O’Fallon, MO 63366, Tuesday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Look for other paper and cardboard drop‐off options to be announced in 2019.
- Acceptable paper products include:
- Newspapers, inserts and magazines
- Telephone books
- Computer paper
- Junk mail
- Brown grocery bags
- Flattened corrugated cardboard boxes, small pieces of cardboard and pressed fiber (such as cereal boxes, shoe boxes and tissue boxes) will be accepted too, but these items must be kept separate from other paper products.
- When in doubt, throw it out! The items listed above are the only items that may be recycled. As much as we might want everything to be recyclable, many things are not. In fact, making too many mistakes can cause even the good materials to go to the landfills. Instead of “wishful recycling,” if you are not sure about something, let it go to the landfill to avoid contamination.
Beginning October 29, 2018, City staff will begin inspecting recycling carts prior to picking them up. Carts that include paper, cardboard or other unacceptable items will be tagged and not picked up. Customers will need to remove the disallowed items and return the cart to the curb the following week.
We appreciate your cooperation and understanding as we make this significant change to our program. We understand that change of this magnitude is difficult, but this is the only way O’Fallon can continue to offer recycling at a low, affordable rate. For more information, please visit www.ofallon.mo.us/recycling or call customer service at 636‐272‐0477.
Director, Environmental Services